Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Oh the Things Parents Say...


FROM ADAM: We all know that kids can say the darndest things, but sometimes I have to give Joie and I credit for some of the things we pull out of our you know whats. I have seen Joie divert would be meltdowns with the verbal smoothness of Alan Shore (James Spader from Boston Legal), she is like a surgeon sometimes, poetry in motion. I on the other hand struggle at times, as reasoning with a 3 and 5 year old is not my forte, but when that rare moment comes and I am able to divert a meltdown, damn it feels good...as was the case last night.


As you will read in a previous BLOG from Joie, Logan had his 5 year check up with the doctor and he is so scared of shots. Scared to the point that he nearly didn't fall asleep after I mentioned (to Joie's dismay) that he was going to see Dr. Mike tomorrow. Being sharp as a TB needle, he put one and one together...Dr. Mike=SHOTS!


Logan, laying in bed went on for the next 5 minutes "I hate shots!" "I don't want to see the doctor tomorrow!" "I don't want to get a shot!" "I won't get dressed tomorrow!" You get the point, he wasn't happy. While it did take me 5 minutes I was able to come up with this verbal gem..."Logan, if you want to go to Kindergarten we need to be able show your school that you have all your shots so they know you can't get anyone else sick, you don't want to be the only one of your friends who doesn't go to Kindergarten do you?" Not bad right? It got better. I then went on to talk about things that we all don't like to do but we need to do them because they are good for us...I continued with "you know Logan, like taking out the trash, I don't like doing it but we don't want to live in a house like Uncle Marcus' do we? (The smile was starting to crack) What about the guy that drives the trash truck, think he likes being around trash all day? Without him though we would all live on Mount Trashorama." Pretty good eh? Well, knowing me I did have to take this one step further to make my point to which I said "Do you think I like picking up Jake's (our dog) poop. I don't like doing it but what if I didn't do it? We would have Jake poop all over our backyard and everywhere we stepped we would step in poop. That is not cool and I don't like doing it, but I know it is what I need to do. You think I liked changing your diapers when you were a baby? Not really but I knew it was something I needed to do." That petrified look turned into laughter in a matter of seconds. It was awesome! The lesson learned here is that we should never underestimate the power of a little poo poo talk to divert a meltdown.


Although I was not present to witness the shots, Joie did say she had to stay in the room an extra 10 minutes so other kids would not get freaked out by the screaming. I told Logan I was proud of him for getting his shot and because he got the shot I will continue to take out the trash and pick up Jake's poop....life is good!

2 comments:

BYoung said...

I think I can still her Logan crying today. I hope he doesn't take that onto the football field.
Rub some dirt on it.

RP Mom said...

It is so nice to know that the Davis family is NOT the only family hanging out in the room after shots!!!