Sunday, February 10, 2008

Kids and Sports

Practice #1 is done. I have a whole new appreciation for the 18 and 19 year olds that teach Soccer at the Soccer Center that Logan and Peyton take classes at. Keeping 3 to 5 year old's attention is tough. So crucial to have a game within the game. Lets just say practice #2 can only get better. I spent Friday night scouring google searches for "flag football drills", "coaching flag football", "creative flag football drills", "youth flag football practice"...and so on and so on, you get the point. I will say this about practice #1, Logan has some wheels. I knew he was not slow, but seeing him with kids his age I could see that the scrappy, skin and bones little guy that eats like a horse can motor. And then Peyton, he reminds me of Bobby Boucher (the player) from Waterboy, we just have to figure out the line that is going to get his motor going...then again, he is only 3 (which is easy to lose sight of at times).

So today, Logan and Peyton had soccer class. Today was a make-up class so we walk on the field and I take Logan to his normal field and Peyton to his. I probably should have double checked the age group of the classes because it did not take me long to figure out that Peyton was in the 4 and 5 year old class and Logan was in the 5 and 6 year old class. Basically, they were both in the next class up then what they should have been in. It was evident when Peyton's class began playing a "real game" and as his teammates kicked-off, he ran to the corner of the field and brought ball #2 into the game..."real games" are not part of Peyton's regular class. I let both of them tough it out with the "bigger" kids. It was good for them, we all need a challenge. Although I will admit that standing there watching both of them being somewhat overmatched was tough to watch. As a parent you want nothing more then to see your kids succeed. That being said, before our next football practice I will make sure Logan and Peyton perfect "Trips LT Y-Zoom 219 H-Swing" so they can have success on the football field since soccer was a bit challenging. "No Peyton, it is only 10:23pm, you can't go to bed till you run your route correctly, the Z receiver runs a 5 yard out, not a 8 yard button hook..."

1 comment:

Mom/Grammy G said...

I think that's how I felt when I watched your wrestling games in high school. It's "pay back time".
Parenting is certainly not for wimps!!!

With love and prayers....