Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Next Generation

As most of you are aware, I work in the cable industry so I pride myself on knowing how to use a DVR (TIVO), the difference between HD and SD (4:3 vs. 16:9), watching Video On Demand programming etc. You get the jist (if you are not familiar with a DVR or VOD stop reading because the rest will not make sense). Of course Logan and Peyton are also very much aware of these as well. I found out yesterday morning before I went to work just how familiar they are with these technologies.

Logan was in our room and asked to watch TV which I responded with "Get dressed for school and then you can watch TV." Whoever said you shouldn't negotiate with your kids must not have had kids, how is a parent supposed to get through this thing called parenting without negotiating (do tell...).

Logan is getting dressed and I am putting on my socks. He was very worried that I was going to leave for work without turning on the TV for his highness. I was dressed and I turned on the TV (Higgleytown Heroes on Playhouse Disney...gotta give the company its props and promotion, they still sign the checks) before Logan was in my room. Ten seconds later, Logan was in our room and was very distraught that the I turned the TV on before he came in the room. The conversation followed like this:

Logan: "Daddy, rewind the TV."
Me: "Logan, I can't do it on this TV."
Logan: "Yes you can, rewind, start the show over."
Me: "Logan, I can't do it, I can only rewind TV downstairs where the cable box is."
Logan (Now very angry and wimpering): "Your not fair Daddy, why won't you rewind the TV to the begining of the show."
Me: I looked over at Joie and said "this is insane, yet so very funny and interesting to me" I told him once more that I can't rewind upstairs and asked him to look at the remote and tell me which buttons I should push to rewind. At which point I just turned the TV off then on again real quickly and I think he thought the show started over.

On my way to work, I couldn't stop thinking about the conversation. I ended up calling my boss and telling him the story. He was laughing at the whole scenario and he said it would have been a lot funnier if Logan would have said "Hey dad, stop being such a cheap a$$ and pay the extra $12.99 to get the DVR box upstairs so Mr. P and I can watch our shows when we want to watch our shows."

It dawned on me that Logan and Peyton's generation should be coined the "On Demand" generation. Music On Demand with iPod's, TV On Demand with VOD, DVR's, online video On Demand with You Tube and ESPN360.com (another plug for the company, they are still paying me you know!). So very interesting! I Should have had Logan and Peyton attend the "How Cable Goes to Market" training that folks from my work attended.

3 comments:

Mom/Grammy G said...

Great story! Loved it! Logan and Peyton have done a great job in developing your negotiating skills.

Mom/Grammy G said...

I MISS YOUR UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt and Stephanie said...

We have this same conversation all the time, Its too funny.